HISTORY OF SOUTHERN MOULDING & SUPPLY CO.
Southern Moulding was founded in 1945 by Charlie Gullet, who was a traveling salesman for PB&H and other moulding companies. Southern Moulding, at that time, was located at 476 Luckie Street. One employee, Warren Campbell, ran the business while Charlie Gullatt traveled selling moulding. In 1975, at the time of purchase, Southern sold only length moulding, choppers, brads, nail hole fillers and other hardware items. In 1976 the chop service was started and the company began to grow.
In November, 1977 Southern moved from Luckie Street to 14th Street, and shortly thereafter expanded the product line and started the Southern Framing School. Growth was rapid and more space was soon needed, and the next move was to the Armour Drive location in July of 1983. The Armour warehouse had 28,500 sq.ft. At this time we expanded our product line still further to include ready-made frames. In 1984 we added metal moulding in length and chop. In 1988 glass was added to the line and in 1989 a new addition of 10,500 square feet was completed to house the ever increasing lines of moulding, matboard, foam board, equipment, supplies, and ready-mades.
In 1993 SMSC purchased 12.4 acres of land in Cobb International Industrial Park. A 64,000 sq.ft. warehouse was designed and in August of 1994 SMSC moved to Kennesaw. Growth has continued and new moulding lines are added yearly.
In 1996, Southern Moulding split off from PB&H and is now a Georgia Corporation. In the year 2000, Southern Moulding built an addition to the Kennesaw location. Southern Moulding now occupies 80,000 square feet housing the increasing inventory.
Southern Moulding is a small, family owned business. Presently Sandra Davis is President and General Manager. Sandra is the great grand-daughter of the founder of P.B.&H. Moulding. This is four generations in the moulding industry and the fifth generation is presently employed by Southern Moulding. That's over a century of family history!